Added: 5/10/17, "It is extraordinary that both major-party candidates should have come under FBI investigation during a presidential campaign....That evidently discomforted him (Comey) not a whit save for retrospective feelings of "mild nausea". Way too mild."..."Posse Comey Tantrum," Mark Steyn, 5/10/17
May 10, 2017, "Watergate Redux or ‘Deep State’ Coup?" Robert Parry, Consortium News
"President Trump’s firing of FBI Director James Comey on Tuesday
reflected a growing concern inside the White House that the long-rumored
scheme by “deep state” operatives to overturn the results of the 2016
election may have been more than just rumors.
The fear grew that Comey and other senior officials in the U.S. intelligence community had concluded last year
that neither Hillary Clinton nor Donald Trump was a suitable future
president, albeit for different reasons. I’m told that Clinton was seen
as dangerously hawkish and Trump as dangerously unqualified, opinions
privately shared by then-President Barack Obama.
So, according to this account, plans were made last summer to damage
both Clinton and Trump, with the hope of putting a more stable and less
risky person in the Oval Office – with key roles in this scheme played
by Comey, CIA Director John Brennan and Director of National
Intelligence James Clapper.
When I first heard about this supposed cabal in the middle of last
year, I dismissed it as something more fitting a Jason Bourne movie than
the real world. But-to my amazement-the U.S. intelligence community then began intervening in the presidential campaign in unprecedented
After Trump’s surprising victory on Nov. 8, President Obama and his
intelligence chiefs escalated their efforts to undermine Trump’s
legitimacy. The Obama administration leaked an intelligence assessment
that Russian President Vladimir Putin had orchestrated the hacking of
Democratic emails and their publication by WikiLeaks to undermine
Clinton and help Trump.
The intelligence community’s assessment set the stage for what could
have been a revolt by the Electoral College in which enough Trump
delegates might have refused to vote for him to send the election into
the House of Representatives, where the states would choose the
President from one of the top three vote-getters in the Electoral
The third-place finisher turned out to be former Secretary of State
Colin Powell who got three votes from Clinton delegates in Washington
State. The idea of giving votes to Powell was that he might be an
acceptable alternative to House members over either Clinton or Trump, a
position that I’m told Obama’s intelligence chiefs shared. But the Electoral College ploy failed when Trump’s delegates proved overwhelmingly faithful to the GOP candidate on Dec. 19.
Still, the effort to undermine Trump did not stop. President Obama
reportedly authorized an extraordinary scheme to spread information
about Russia’s purported assistance to Trump across the federal
bureaucracy and even overseas.
Comey, Brennan and Clapper also set in motion a hasty intelligence
assessment by hand-picked analysts at the CIA, the FBI and the National
Security Agency, producing a report on alleged Russian electoral
interference that was released on Jan. 6.
Though Clapper had promised to release a great deal of the evidence, the declassified version of the report
amounted mostly to “trust us” along with a one-sided analysis of
Putin’s alleged motive, citing his well-known disdain for Clinton.
But the report failed to note the other side of that coin, that Putin
would be taking a great risk by trying to hurt Clinton and failing,
given Clinton’s odds as the prohibitive favorite to defeat Trump.
would have to assume that the NSA with its powerful surveillance
capabilities would pick up a Russian initiative and inform an irate
President Hillary Clinton.
In other words, the Jan. 6 report was not some careful analysis of
the pros and cons for believing or doubting that Russia was behind the
WikiLeaks disclosures. It amounted to a prosecutor’s brief, albeit
without any public evidence to support the Russia-did-it charge.
We learned later that the report’s classified appendix included a
summary of Steele’s dossier that was then briefed to President Obama,
President-elect Trump and to members of Congress, guaranteeing that its
damaging but unproven allegations would finally get widely circulated in
the mainstream media, as indeed promptly happened.
Hobbling Trump’s Presidency
So, going into the Inauguration, Russia-gate was dominating the front
pages of newspapers as well as the endless chat shows on cable TV
despite the fact that no real evidence was presented proving Russia was
responsible for the WikiLeaks’ posts – and WikiLeaks denied getting the
material from Russia. There was also no evidence that Trump’s campaign
had colluded with the Russians in this endeavor.
But those suspicions quickly hardened into a groupthink among many
Democrats, liberals and progressives. Their hatred of Trump and their
dread about his policies convinced some that the ends of removing Trump
justified whatever means were employed, even if those means had more
than a whiff of McCarthyism.
On Inauguration Day, many anti-Trump protesters carried signs
accusing Trump of being Putin’s boy. Sensing a political opportunity,
congressional Democrats joined the #Resistance and escalated their
demands for a sweeping investigation of any connections between Trump’s
team and Russia. Their clear hope was something might turn up that could
be exploited in an impeachment proceeding.
As the principal intelligence holdover from the Obama administration,
Comey assumed an essential role in this operation. It would be up to
the FBI to secure the financial records from Trump and his associates
that could provide a foundation for at least suspicions of a sinister
relationship between them and Russia.
Trump may have thought that he bought some political space by complying with political pressure to fire National Security Adviser Michael Flynn on
Feb. 13 over what exactly was said in a pre-Inauguration phone
conversation between Flynn and the Russian Ambassador.
Trump also got
the Russia-gate pressure to lessen when, on April 6, he fired 59 Tomahawk missiles at Syria
over an alleged chemical attack.
But he soon came to realize that those
respites from Russia-gate were brief and that an incipient
constitutional coup might be underway with him as the target.
However, if those coup suspicions
have any truth – and I realize many Americans do not want to accept the
notion that their country has a “deep state” – firing Comey may fuel
Trump’s troubles rather than end them.
Trump clearly is unpopular not only among Democrats but many
Republicans who see him as an unprincipled interloper with a nasty
Twitter finger. The Comey firing is sure to spark new demands for a
special prosecutor or at least more aggressive investigations by
Congress and the press.
Although Democrats had condemned Comey for his interference in the
Clinton campaign, they now are rallying to Comey’s side because they
viewed him as a key instrument for removing Trump from office. After
Comey’s firing, from The New York Times to CNN, the mainstream media was
filled with comparisons to Richard Nixon’s Watergate cover-up....
Despite what Page and other Trump advisers caught up in the
Russia-gate probe may hope, the prospects that Comey’s firing will end
their ordeal are dim. The near certainty is that whatever Obama and his
intelligence chiefs set in motion last year is just beginning."
Comment: Ivanka, if you love your father as you say you do, why haven't you used your well advertised talents to stop the continuous White House "insider" leaks to the media? As it stands now, your father doesn't have a presidency. A White House without borders isn't a White House-it's just a building. This imaginary Russia campaign could've been stopped anytime because it exists only in the media (in part thanks to continuous leaks to them from Trump "insiders"). Ivanka, why are you there if you can't at least stop the leaks? If it were happening to my father, I'd put all my effort into stopping them. I wouldn't be flying to Germany and promoting George Soros talking points about Syrian refugees.
News that doesn't receive the necessary attention.
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
US presidential campaign was interfered with by US intelligence in unprecedented ways once they decided that both Trump and Hillary must be damaged. Firing Comey does nothing to change this. Whatever Deep State's jet setting pal Obama and his intelligence chiefs set in motion in 2016 is just beginning, whether you agree the US has a “deep state” or not-Robert Parry, Consortium News (In any case, no one's going to stop them)
- Trump and delegation at the Vatican, Pope spoke to...
- Devout Muslim mass murderer of children at UK conc...
- Former CIA chief Brennan answers, "No, sir," when ...
- Defendant BuzzFeed fails in attempt to have libel ...
- Women in Paris protest 'no go zones' caused by abu...
- Negligence by Democrat National Committee is suffi...
- Here we go. Illegal and painful mutilation of litt...
- Egypt Pres. al-Sisi, Saudi King Salman, and Pres. ...
- Goodfellas: Paulie (Paul Sorvino) says, what do I ...
- California Democrat Party Chair Burton told protes...
- Trump tweet displayed on billboard in downtown Riy...
- Big Three, FDR, Stalin, and Churchill, pledge to w...
- Not previously reported, new dead bodies emerge in...
- Trump arrives in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, May 20, 201...
- Trump White House staff leaks now a legal matter s...
- Despite CrowdStrike's extremely casual treatment o...
- Neocon parasite Gershman urges US taxpayers to "su...
- More leaks to NY Times, this one revealing whiny, ...
- Normally, countries refuse to take their citizens ...
- Kentucky Judge pleads guilty to half a billion dol...
- Not a 'bombshell?' US Office of Special Counsel fi...
- Always eager for blood to flow, NY Times and ABC N...
- James Comey himself is under Justice Dept. IG inve...
- DNC suspected Bernie Sanders campaign had breached...
- Longtime Deep State stenographer Ken Dilanian now ...
- Mr. Clapper, the FBI and CIA weren't created by th...
- If we're to believe the individual is fundamentall...
- Mafia has controlled large Italy migrant center fo...
- President Trump, for the love of God, stop talking...
- Putin is really amazing. He even got big gains for...
- Obama says Russians did no tampering in US electio...
- Fact Check: Bad polls released after Comey letter ...
- Russia-gate was necessary because until Trump was ...
- Chairman of Senate Judiciary Committee urges FBI t...
- Constant negative leaks from Trump's own White Hou...
- Trump won't recover from enslaving his voters (rem...
- Trump State Dept. is sued for documents sent by Ob...
- US presidential campaign was interfered with by US...
- Former FBI chief Comey was placed under Inspector ...
- Major house cleaning of White House staff needed i...
- Another flop for media and its heavily promoted an...
- Cockfighting raid in Texas finds roosters bleeding...
- Mexico was second deadliest country in the world i...
- Man in sombrero playing trumpet among entries you ...
- Rapid population growth is the major cause of envi...
- US Navy Seal killed in Somalia, two soldiers hurt,...
- Your Wildest Dreams, a great song by The Moody Blu...
- Anticipating Trump winning House Obamacare vote, 1...
- Republicans to push for Open Borders by focusing o...
- McCain gets Two Pinocchios for claiming he has 'no...
- Rush Limbaugh to VP Mike Pence on budget deal: We'...
- Heritage Foundation 'scholar' gives speech to cele...
- ▼ May (52)
- ► 2016 (1320)
- ► 2015 (661)
- ► 2014 (456)
- ► 2013 (550)
- ► 2012 (611)
- ► 2011 (487)
- ► 2010 (337)
- ► 2009 (33)